Good Samaritan Fund

Good Samaritan Fund

First UMC Elgin supports our local community needs in many ways. We host a weekly Monday night Soup Kettle, provide space for the City of Elgin Winter Warming Shelter, serve at PADS, and host food drives for local assistance agencies.

In addition, we maintain a Good Samaritan fund. This fund provides food and gas gift cards* for those in need. Gift cards are available in the church office Monday through Thursday only and are not distributed on Sundays. A valid ID is required, and restrictions do apply.

Donations to the Good Samaritan fund can be made online, in the church offering, or by mailing to the church office.

*Gift card availability varies. No cash is kept in the church office. Financial assistance may be available after a consultation with the Senior Pastor.

Restrictions: One gift card per person per 30-day period. A valid ID is required, and a copy will be taken for church records.

Need Other Types of Assistance?

Dial 2-1-1 from any phone. Help is available in 150+ languages.
If you live in Kane County and are in need of other types of assistance, we recommend dialing 211.
This is a confidential helpline that can be reached 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Among the help they may be able to provide:

  • Food, clothing, shelter, and rent/utility assistance
  • Physical and mental health services
  • Job training and financial assistance
  • Home-delivered meals
  • Childcare and after-school programs
  • Transportation
  • Senior Services
  • Legal Assistance
  • Health Care
  • And more

Visit the 211 Elgin website for more information. Click HERE to view a 211 flyer.

City of Elgin Human Services Resources Guide

The City of Elgin provides a Human Services Resource Guide that includes information on assistance available to residents. This includes Food Pantries, Soup Kettles, Mental Health Services, General Health Services, Substance Abuse treatments, Shelter needs, Crisis Intervention, Legal Services, Veterans Assistance, and other resources available. 

Please click HERE to view a copy of the City of Elgin Human Services Resource Guide.

Need Help Paying Your Gas & Electric Bills?

LIHEAP Assistance is available for Kane and Dekalb County residents by reaching out to Community Contacts, Inc. 

For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 847.697.4400 or visit

Click HERE for a copy of the winter 2023/2024 LIHEAP flyer.